LAWS/Pro: How to e-mail an Invoice
Within LAWS/Pro, an option exists to e-mail an invoice to a client as a PDF attachment.
The client's receiving e-mail application may be configured with various levels of spam checking.
Please verify, with the client, that the e-mail was received in their inbox rather than routed to spam.
Email invoices to clients as follows:
Steps 1-2: WITHIN FIRM SETUP (One time setup)
1) The generated e-mail must include a "Bill From" e-mail address.
This is the e-mail address which will be displayed as the "From" address within the generated e-mail.
It is generally the solo practitioners personal e-mail address, or a general information address used by the firm.
Enter this address as the "Bill From Email Address" within the Firm Setup billing options.
2) If desired, a duplicate copy of the client invoice may be created allowing you to verify that the client's e-mail was delivered successfully, and to review the actual content of the email. To use this feature enter the e-mail address which should receive the copy of the client's e-mail as "Verification Email Address" the within Firm Setup.
Steps 3-4: WITHIN CLIENT SETUP (Performed once for each client to receive e-billing)
3) Enter the client e-mail address to which the e-mailed invoices should be sent as the "E-Mail Address" within Client Setup. If entered within Client Setup, this e-mail address is automatically assigned with all matters associated with this client. If e-mails for various matters within a client should be directed to different individuals, than enter the appropriate "Billing E-Mail Address" per matter within the Matter Contact section of Matter Setup.
4) If an e-mail copy of the invoice should always be forwarded to the client, then set the client's billing option "Bill by E-mail" to "Yes" within Client Setup. Otherwise, if e-mail invoices will be sent on a sporadic basis, leave this option as "No". This option may be set to "Yes" at the time of billing on an invoice by invoice basis.
Steps 5-6: ACTUAL GENERATION OF THE INVOICE (Performed each time we invoice the client)
5) Generate the bill as normal. The e-mail address will be noted for the selected matters desiring an e-mail invoice. If the client's "Bill By E-Mail" bill option is set to "Yes", the e-mail check box is automatically checked. Otherwise, this box is not checked. Only matters for which this e-mail box is checked will have e-mails generated. Please note: E-mails are not generated until the invoice is finalized.
6) Once the invoice is finalized, a copy of the invoice is automatically sent to the entered invoice e-mail address. Additionally, an exact copy of the invoice is sent to the entered "Verification Email Address", loaded within Firm Setup, if entered.
Let us know what you think!
Use this "Contact" form to send us a quick message requesting an explanation pertaining to any question relating to
We may not have e-mail addresses for all users within your firm for which this information may be useful.
This "Contact" form may also be used to forward addresses of any user desiring these "How To" messages.
If you are satisfied with LAWS/Pro remember,
We Appreciate Referrals!
Thank you for your continued support.